Year 2 animal encounters!
What an afternoon! Rob brought some of our Lickhill family into the classroom this afternoon: Gary the gecko, one of his children (Gary's not Rob's!), A giant African millipede and an Australian stick insect. The quality of the questions the children asked were impressive and because of this we learnt some amazing facts, such as:
- The tail of this breed of gecko will fall off if they feel threatened or scared.
- They live up to 3 years in the wild but most of them don't keep their tail until this age.
- They only eat live food.
- They can jump from tree to tree.
- They have sticky feet which allow them to climb windows!
- The giant millipedes excrete a foul smelling and tasting liquid to warn of predators.
- Their feet are sticky, and feel a bit like a hair brush!
- They eat rotten fruit and leaves.
That's just a taste of what they learnt today so thank you very much Rob!